X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galloway and the Blotchy Faced Man

In the thread at

there is mention of a Mr Galloway as follows:
    "police referred to Blotchy Man as the suspect wanted in connection with Marys murder. He may well have been seen and slipped away some days later when a Mr Galloway spotted him by his description, and an officer who was approached declined to follow him as he fled."
    (posted by perrymason)
    I had seen mention of this before but have only just found the text of Galloway's statment. This is below.
    Chris

Hampshire Telegraph
    17 November 1888

Judging from a communication made to a news agency by Mr Galloway, a clerk employed in the City, and living in Stepney, no reliance is now placed upon the statement made by the woman Cox.
    Mr Galloway's statement is as follows:-
    "As I was going down the Whitechapel Road in the early hours of Wednesday morning on my way home, I saw a man coming in the opposite direction, about fifty yards away. We both crossed the road simultaneously and came face to face. The man had a very frightened appearance, and glared at me as he passed. I was very much struck with the man's appearance especially as he corresponded in almost every particular with the man described by Mary Anne Cox. He was, in fact, short, stout, about 35 to 40 years of age. His moustache, not a particularly heavy one, was of a 'carrotty' colour, and his face was blotchy, not, as far as I could see, from disease, but through drink and dissipation. He wore a long, dirty, brown overcoat, and altogether presented a most villainous appearance. I stood still, and watched him. He darted back almost immediately to the other side of the road, and then apparently to avoid a group of women a litttle further on, crossed the road again. I determined to follow him, and just before reaching the coffee stall, past the church, he again crossed the road. On reaching George Yard he crossed over and entered a small court. He reappeared in a couple of minutes, crossed Whitechapel Road for the sixth time, and proceeded up Commercial Street. Up to this point he had walked along briskly, but directly he got into Commercial Street he slackened speed, and accosted the first woman whom he met alone, but was repulsed. On approaching Thrawl Street, a policeman on point duty suddenly appeared. The man was evidently startled, and for a moment it looked as though he would turn back or cross the road. He recovered himself, however, and went on. I then informed the constable of what I had seen, and pointed out the man's extraordinary resemblance to the individual described by Cox. The constable positively declined to arrest the man, saying that he was looking for a man of very different appearance."

I don't understand why the Hampshire Telegraph says Galloway's statement means no reliance can be placed on Mrs Cox's evidence.
    Martin F

Comment

Hi Martin
      many thanks for the message
      I must admit to being puzzled by this point. The only construct I could put upon it was based on the sentence
      The constable positively declined to arrest the man, saying that he was looking for a man of very different appearance
      This would suggest that any man resembling the blotchy faced man (as not matching the current description in the frame) had been effectively discounted from the investigation. As Mary Cox's testimony featured a man of just this description it would have no bearing on the Kelly death as he did not match the appearance to which the police were then working.
      Chris

Comment

Evening All

A full account of Galloway’s claims appeared in The Star, 16th Nov. 1888 and, as I see it, Chris is absolutely correct in his reply to Martin.

If this account is to be believed then it seems to suggest that, by the time of Galloway’s encounter, either the police in general, or this constable in particular were not interested in anyone matching Mrs Cox’s description. Whatever the reasons for this apparent disregard of Mrs Cox’s description are not explained in the reports of Galloway’s claims.

Best wishes
        alex chisholm
        But for me, in my impenetrable mantle, the safety was complete. Think of it – I did not even exist!
        (HJFSotC – SCoDJaMH – RLS, 1886)

https://www.amazon.com/author/alexchisholm
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B006JFY5TC

Comment

Hi Alex,
          as far as I understand, nothing explains why Galloway's statement should throw doubts on Cox'.

Amitiés,
          David

Comment

According to one account I read, the police were going with Hutchinson's man rather than Cox's. Yet, as was pointed out at the time, you'd have thought that the police would still have been interested in talking to Cox's man, even if they didn't wish to arrest him.

Comment

Indeed, Robert, and then shortly thereafter that appeared to have been reversed, with renewed interest in Cox and Hutchinson seemingly dropping off the map.

Comment

That's it. And it's interesting to analyse how did Hutch manage to "reverse" the situation, ie, how did he manage to shift from the position of Witness n°1 to that of an "ordinary non-reliable" one.

Amitiés,
                David

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                  In the thread at

there is mention of a Mr Galloway as follows:
                  "police referred to Blotchy Man as the suspect wanted in connection with Marys murder. He may well have been seen and slipped away some days later when a Mr Galloway spotted him by his description, and an officer who was approached declined to follow him as he fled."
                  (posted by perrymason)
                  I had seen mention of this before but have only just found the text of Galloway's statment. This is below.
                  Chris

Hampshire Telegraph
                  17 November 1888

Judging from a communication made to a news agency by Mr Galloway, a clerk employed in the City, and living in Stepney, no reliance is now placed upon the statement made by the woman Cox.
                  Mr Galloway's statement is as follows:-
                  "As I was going down the Whitechapel Road in the early hours of Wednesday morning on my way home, I saw a man coming in the opposite direction, about fifty yards away. We both crossed the road simultaneously and came face to face. The man had a very frightened appearance, and glared at me as he passed. I was very much struck with the man's appearance especially as he corresponded in almost every particular with the man described by Mary Anne Cox. He was, in fact, short, stout, about 35 to 40 years of age. His moustache, not a particularly heavy one, was of a 'carrotty' colour, and his face was blotchy, not, as far as I could see, from disease, but through drink and dissipation. He wore a long, dirty, brown overcoat, and altogether presented a most villainous appearance. I stood still, and watched him. He darted back almost immediately to the other side of the road, and then apparently to avoid a group of women a litttle further on, crossed the road again. I determined to follow him, and just before reaching the coffee stall, past the church, he again crossed the road. On reaching George Yard he crossed over and entered a small court. He reappeared in a couple of minutes, crossed Whitechapel Road for the sixth time, and proceeded up Commercial Street. Up to this point he had walked along briskly, but directly he got into Commercial Street he slackened speed, and accosted the first woman whom he met alone, but was repulsed. On approaching Thrawl Street, a policeman on point duty suddenly appeared. The man was evidently startled, and for a moment it looked as though he would turn back or cross the road. He recovered himself, however, and went on. I then informed the constable of what I had seen, and pointed out the man's extraordinary resemblance to the individual described by Cox. The constable positively declined to arrest the man, saying that he was looking for a man of very different appearance."
                  Blotchy face and some of his description was given by Lewis who said she witnessed a scream of ' Murder ' in Miller's Court in the early hours of the morning surrounding Mary Kelly's death, Lewis said she had seen Blotchy in the street around 2 am or thereabouts, so Blotchy had left Mary Kelly. It was false reporting from those outside of Miller's court who said they heard cries of murder at a quarter to 2, whereas Prater and Lewis said it was around 4 am or thereabouts , i'm sure the residents wanted to have Blotchy as the Ripper. However dropping Hutchinson's description of the man, then Cox's blotchy face and previously Schwartz and another guy, the police thought that the only reliable on was Lawende's description and some of Lawende's was similar ( not same) to Cox's description.
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2009, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shelley View Post
                    Lewis said she had seen Blotchy in the street around 2 am or thereabouts...
                    Not sure I've seen that written down anywhere, Shelley. Grateful if you'd enlighten me
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      Not sure I've seen that written down anywhere, Shelley. Grateful if you'd enlighten me
                      i read in the witness statements copied for the thread Elizabeth Prater or was it Prater/Lewis/Hutchinson/Cox

I read Lewis said she saw a blotchy face man in the street and also a man and woman who was drunk going by. But reading Hutchinson's he does not make mention of a Blotchy face man or the man and woman.
                      Just read it recently, as i was fathoming out whether Diddles did it!

Comment

Oops! I think i made a mistake in the above post, as Sam has quite rightly pointed out that he's never seen it written down anywhere, Lewis says a stout man with dark clothing, not Blotchy face, i seem to have fused this together with Cox's statement of a blotchy face man stout with dark clothing. Quite right Sam, my mistake......I must be getting tired now, so off to bed.
                        Sorry.

Comment

Hi David,

That's what I've always thought when I've read about this encounter. According to the date on this, it's days after Hutch went to the police on Nov. 12 at 6 PM. Notices about the pardon for accomplices appeared on Nov. 12. Hutch's "testimony" could have been what this constable was going on about. Mr. Astrakhan vs Blotchy. Astrakhan didn't fit Cox's blotchy, stocky suspect and on the 17th, the police were still looking for Astrakhan.

Doing okay?

Best,

Cel
                          "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Mary Kelly Asking for 6d From Hutchinson

I wonder if Hutchinson was married and Mary Kelly solicited him sometimes, just a thought as why would Mary be asking for 6d, i wouldn't have thought that she maybe asking for a loan but trying to solicit so she didn't owe any more money, as she was behind with her rent for weeks, as has be mentioned. Maybe that's why Hutchinson didn't go to the police until a few days later, he might have been worried because he was married.

Comment

Originally posted by Shelley View Post
                              I wonder if Hutchinson was married and Mary Kelly solicited him sometimes, just a thought as why would Mary be asking for 6d, i wouldn't have thought that she maybe asking for a loan but trying to solicit so she didn't owe any more money, as she was behind with her rent for weeks, as has be mentioned. Maybe that's why Hutchinson didn't go to the police until a few days later, he might have been worried because he was married.
                              I think you'll find that has been discussed on various Hutchinson threads, Shell. Since the Blotchy Faced Man gets so few threads of his own, it might be better not to introduce the fiendish Hutchinson onto this one. Trust me - mention the "H" word and all hell breaks loose, no matter what the subject of the original discussion

(Aside: Benedict... bite your tongue, sir!)
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                              X