Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Minor Mystery

Hi All,

What have the 1802 restaurant at the Museum in Docklands and the bar at Wilton's Music Hall have in common?

When visiting both locations this year I happened to look skywards and noticed that a playing card had been nailed to the ceiling of each: a two of clubs in both cases.

I have no idea what the significance is meant to be but I'm hoping that someone somewhere will know. When I saw the first one I immediately thought of Jeremy Beadle for some reason. It's mystifying because I suspect most people would not think of looking at the ceiling when they have a plate of food or glass of wine in front of them!

Any ideas?

Love,

Caz
    X
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Hi Caz-
    Intriguing......Have had a quick 'ferrett' and there is an opening Bridge move rejoicing under the title of a 'Strong,Artificial 2 Clubs Opening bid'.... (right..)
    Also found out that the significance of the 2 of Clubs is the 'Card of Conversation'....Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Suz x
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Having done research into Romany Gypsy Playing Card Divination (Fortune Telling) I can safely say that the "2 Of Clubs" has ne real relevance to anything other than "Friendship".

The card only comes into play when it is picked before or after a more significant card!

So that has nothing to do with it!

Of course, this can all differ if the card is upside down!

However,

Other Playing Card Divination methods give the "2 Of Clubs" the following properties,

TWO OF CLUBS (or THE CIRCLE) SIMPLICITY The perfection of spirituality. The oneness and beauty of the circle; the solidarity and singularity of a point. Nothing is better.

The other school of thought, and one I would tend to go along with, is that someone is having a laugh, and thought it would be fun to place cards on the ceilings of various establishments in London!
      Regards Mike

Comment

Yes, I tend to agree with Mike or, maybe more likely, some sort of treasure trip/pub crawl. I'd love a definitive answer...would call Wilton's and ask them but a bit pricey from here. How fascinating!
        best,

claire

Comment

Well, as the two of clubs is the absolute lowest card in the deck, maybe it stands for uselessness, or dissatisfaction. It's also the opening card in several games, so perhaps it stands for good luck on opening night.

Mike
          Last edited by The Good Michael; 09-08-2008, 04:36 PM.
          huh?

Comment

Mystery Solved?

You might be right about Jeremy, or at least some of his magician friends.

"The Card on the ceiling trick" is well known amongst Magicians, and chances are, these two establishments were witness to the trick.

A spectator signs a card and places it in the deck. After wraping the deck with rubberbands, you toss to the ceiling high above the heads of your audience and smack! the signed card sticks to the ceiling while the rest of the deck comes back down!

And that, is Magic!
            Regards Mike

Comment

Take a look at the action yourself.....

A Youtube video showing "Card on Celing in London"

mr.eman performing a variation of the card on ceiling in downtown london ontario
              Regards Mike

Comment

That must be London, Ontario.

Mike
                huh?

Comment

ha ha, I never watched the clip as I was listening to music through the computer!
                  Regards Mike

Comment

Excellent, Mike! I think you nailed it.

Loving the way those innocents were so taken in by this card with his pack of cards.

I wonder if the London England trickster had the same easy ride with the good people at Docklands and Wilton's?

Thanks for all the replies, folks. Knew you could do it.

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                      That must be London, Ontario.
                      Yes, it is.

Comment

Working...
                      X