Gotham by Gaslight: Comic Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotham by Gaslight: Comic Book

Gotham by Gaslight was a Batman Comic book that takes the idea that Jack the Ripper comes to 1880's Gotham city and an Victorian era Batman's gotta stop him

Now I am not a big comic book fan, but when I heard that our ol' Wacky Jacky was in a comic and fights Batman of all things, well I had to see it for myself.

From Wiki
    "The book features Batman in the 1880s, fighting Jack the Ripper when the serial killer comes to Gotham City. Unfortunately one of the main suspects is Bruce Wayne himself. The cast includes Commissioner Gordon, Alfred Pennyworth, and Princess Julie Madison. The Joker makes a cameo appearance as a bluebeard who tries to kill himself with strychnine poison, but is left with a paralyzed rictus grin."

While the writing or story isn't as strong as it is in another well known Jack the Ripper comic - Alan Moore's From Hell (from which the 2001 with Johnny Depp movie was made). I would say that this was a great Jack the Ripper meets Batman story and it comes off better then you might believe...
    Sometimes all you learn in defeat is that you have been defeated - Anonymous

(you know I put this thread in Audio -- Visual, only because it didn't feel right putting in the books forum, this book has as much to offer Visually as it does written - don't flame me )
    Sometimes all you learn in defeat is that you have been defeated - Anonymous

Comment

Well, I do think this belongs in the book section, but I had to say I think this is the second best Jack the Ripper comic book on the market. I don't think there are very many JtR comics out there, but this is my second top pick.
      "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

I have a copy of GbG that I've been trying to sell on ebay but no bidders as yet. If anyone is interested I have this and other Batman comics at very reasonable prices. Ask for details

Comment

Great comic book, much better than artsy, slanderous From Hell. And honest fiction.
          Me?
          For the memory of my sweet, ambereyed and animal-loving mother (1932-2007). Be happy in Heaven.

Comment

As a huge Batman fan, I love this book, which came out about the same time my interest in JTR was sparked by Mr Caine and Co. Mike Mignola, the writer / artist (you may know him as the creatyor of Hellboy) has an amazing visual style, with lots of moody colours and deep black ideally suited to both of the main characters. A wonderful book.

B.
            Bailey
            Wellington, New Zealand
            hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
            www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

Ahh, one of the first comics pushed upon me by my comic-loving S.O. (From Hell was first, followed by Preacher).

Although my view on comics has changed drastically over the past decade, I am still not the biggest fan of superhero comics in general -- but I love this one. It's visually very striking, and tells a very good story.
              ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

Working...
              X