Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one next?

Hi all,

I'm in the market for another Ripper book, and I wouldn't mind a bit of advice. I am just wondering if there's any book which comes close to reproducing the events as well as Philip Sugden's Complete History does. I remember first reading his book and almost feeling like I was being transported back in time with the way he covers the murders.

I tried Paul Begg's book but was a little dissapointed that the actual events weren't recreated or discussed as well as Sugden's. So while I appreciate not many come close to Complete History, as was just wondering if anyone can recommend one in a similar vein. Reading the review section The Crimes, Detection and Death of Jack the Ripper by Martin Fido or The Complete Jack the Ripper by Donald Rumbelow seem to be the best way to go. Are these recommended on here?

Cheers.

Well, Elias, for what it's worth, I suggest that you go with the Rumbelow book next. Granted it's a bit dated in places, but it's still considered to be a classic by most of us. The opening chapters are particularly evocative. All serious students of the case should read Don's book at some point, so you might as well do it early in your career.

Comment

Hi Elias!

Since the Rumelow book was actually translated to Swedish, it was in fact the first Ripper book I read. And many Ripperologists have congratulated me on my good fortune, since there are very many bad books around.
      Then again, Fido´s book is a very good read too, and since Fido does not mind going out on a limb, it makes for a couple of interesting evenings too.

Why not buy both, Elias? If you find it too expensive, you could opt for another book altogether: "Scotland Yard investigates", by Rumbelow and Stewart Evans. It is a lot fresher, very well written, and it has gorgeous picture quality.

All the best,

Fisherman

Comment

Hi Elias

I'd say you simply cannot get a better straight, non-suspect based chronological account of the JTR case than Sugden so there's not much point trying to find one, Rumbelow included. For what it's worth, if I were you, I'd go for 'Letters from Hell' (Stewart Evans), 'The London of Jack the Ripper Then and Now' (Hutchinson/Clack) and probably best of all the 1994/1996 paperback 'The Jack the Ripper A-Z' (Begg, Fido, Skinner).
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Tom Cullen's Autumn of Terror because it is historically significant in itself. I think this book pretty much kicked off modern Ripperology. For its time, the information in it is good too. Also, because he actually interviewed some living people who had, or claimed to have, a connection with the case when it was ongoing. All the authors since were too late for that.
          Last edited by sdreid; 08-07-2008, 11:35 PM.
          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Elias,

Welcome to the discussion group. You mentioned Sudgen, as did another forum member, Denn034 who had read the 2nd edition. I read the 1st edition, which is what our public library has stocked. Could anyone say, are there any major changes between editions?

I have found our library has a good selection of JtR books, and of the era. They procured, through an inter-library loan, People of the Abyss by Jack London. I recommend it.

Just curious, do folks in the British Isles and other parts of the world find their public library has a selection to their liking?

Again, welcome Elias. Good to have you on board.

Roy
            Sink the Bismark

Comment

Elias,

I may be somewhat biased as i am an editor at Ripperologist magazine, but rather than buy another older general treatment that you look at some of the more recent back issues of the major periodicals in the field. It is here that you will find cutting edge articles with the newest ideas and thorough reexaminations of older theories as well as things like the first published photographs of Joseph Lawende and Francis Tumblety that we at Ripperologist were able to present this year.

Don.
              "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Hi Elias,

If you want to really be on top of things and get more up to date on the latest research I would take up on Don's advice regarding the periodicals.

However, as far as books are concerned, I would say that Rumbelow's book (although very well written and once highly influental) is rather out of date in many respects - to be frank, time has not been too kind on may of the old respectable standard books on the subject simply because they need serious updating.
                And that includes Sugden, which I personally don't find very exciting today.
                Unfortunately that also includes Fido's book. Fido is excellent in the way he presents facts in an entertaining way and it has always had a refreshing feel to it (and the non-suspect oriented chapters are, as usual, the most interesting ones). But again - it is quite out of date; it was first published in 1897 and hasn't really been that much updated. Suffice to say, much has happened in Ripper research since then.

I think Evans' and Rumbelow's Jack the Ripper: Scotland Yard Investigates from last year is the best buy for you if you want a relatively fresh and totally objective account of the facts, not to mention the vast collection of interesting illustrations.
                A dark horse I also always like to recommend is James Tully's The Secret of Prisoner 1167.

All the best
                Last edited by Glenn Lauritz Andersson; 08-08-2008, 10:16 AM.
                The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Thanks a lot for the input everyone - much appreciated.

Comment

Stweart Evans' and Don Rumbelow's Jack the Ripper: Scotland Yard Investigates is a must as is The London of Jack the Ripper: Then and Now by fellow Casebook posters Philip Hutchinson and Robert Clack.
                    These two books opened my eyes (by way of their amazing images) to things I had only imagined and read about before.

Comment

Stick to the primary sources!!

Jack the Ripper Scotland Yard Investigates- Evans and Rumbelow,
                      Jack the Ripper Letters From Hell- Evans and Skinner,
                      The Ultimate JTR Sourcebook- Evans and Skinner,
                      Jack the Ripper A-Z- Begg, Fido and Skinner,
                      The London of Jack the Ripper Now and Then- Clack and Hutchinson,
                      Jack the Ripper-Public Reactions- Ryder,

Other good reads include,
                      JTR The First Victim Photographs, Mclaughlin,
                      JTR Encyclopedia, Eddleston,
                      Ripperology, Odell
                      Jack the Ripper-The Facts, Begg
                      The Complete JTR, Rumbelow
                      The Complete History of JTR, Sugden
                      The Victims of JTR, Sheldon
                      Regards Mike

Comment

I'm obviously a great supporter of the periodicals, but I honestly think that most of the articles can really only be appreciated to their full extent once you have read at least a few general Ripper texts already. By their nature the topics covered tend to be very specific and detailed. If nothing else if you go to the Casebook periodicals section you can click through to each publication and then to individual issues to typically find sample articles to read through. That should give you a better idea of what you'd be getting into.

Sugden's a great start, but reading at least a few of the various other titles mentioned above would be very helpful.

Dan Norder
                        Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
                        Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

I have to agree with Dan, some of the dissertations on here can be quite daunting also, but easier with the basic knowledge of the case.

There are also the excellent magazines available,
                          Ripperologist
                          Ripper Notes
                          (Is the Australian one still on the go?)
                          Regards Mike

Comment

Great recommendations by everyone so far - and I can't really add to them. On that basis, I'll suggest an alternative approach. Why not get a feel for the historical/social background before you delve into another Ripper book?

You might choose a "classic", such as Jack London's evergreen People of the Abyss, or dip into Mayhew's flawed but fascinating London Labour and the London Poor. Should you wish to look at a wider canvas than the East End of Jack's era, then Jerry White's London in the Nineteenth Century, or Victorian London by Liza Pickard, are great places to start.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Mike,

(Is the Australian one still on the go?)

Riperroo ceased publication several years ago and unfortunately its guiding light, Julius Rosenthal died this past January. Mention should alo be made, however, of the Whitechapel Society Journal.

I do disagree somewhat that the dissertations are daunting. Some may be, but there are many that are not so, Dan is right, though, that a newcomer would be well advised to check some of the articles offered in the periodicals section of Casebook. As far as other books to start with, Begg's and Evans-Rumbelow's are the most up to date general offerings and thus reccomended. Others would become indispensable once you really get into things.

And Sam, yes, everyone should read Mayhew even if they have no interest in JtR, the East End, the Victorian era or . . . well you get my drift. The stories that Mayhew tells are as entertaining (if also as heart-rending) as you will find in any novel. Great stuff.

Don.
                              "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Working...
                              X