Why is important "jack's Place" Spitalfields E1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is important "jack's Place" Spitalfields E1

I did the Jack Ripper tour in November but I don't understand very well,why this place was impotant in the tour.
    It was late,dark and my english is not very well.
    thank you for your help.
    Bicho

can anyone answer me please??

Comment

Hi Bicho

I assume the 'Jack's Place' you mention is the office bulding on Corbet Place (off Hanbury Street). Did your tour go there?

As far as I know, it's not important at all and the name is more than likely a coincidence.

JB

Comment

well certainly I did de jack Ripper tour in november and at the end of the tour we stoped at this place.
        my english is not very well and i wante to know why this place is important.
        Thanks

Comment

I was intrigued by this so I went down to find "Jack's Place". It is in Corbet Place which runs north from Hanbury Street near the Commercial Street end. It might I suppose be near to the Annie Chapman site but I always thought that was further down Hanbury Street.

Paula

Comment

Hello

One of the witnesses from the Nichols case, Robert Paul, worked at Corbetts Court, which is west of 29 Hanbury Street,as Paula says, running north off Hanbury St.

Robert Baul [Paul], 30, Forster-street, Whitechapel, carman, said as he was going to work at Cobbett's-court, Spitalfields

Comment

Hello All,

I was on John's tour this week and we discussed Jack's Place, so I thought I would update this thread and say that its not a coincidence. The owner thought that naming it after JTR would be a good marketing ploy. I used to have an office in there. One of the ripper tours used to stop outside our window over the wall in the old brewery next to the Italian restaurant (why, I am unsure as its not that close to 29 Hanbury Street).

If you look at the Patricia Cornwell documentary there is a shot of her walking past the building before it was renovated. It was not there in 1888, it was built much later, and back then the road layout was different as well. There was a residential street there called "Corbett's Court".

I don't personally think that naming an office building after a serial killer is appropriate at all. I took to leaving "Jack's Place" off the address and just using the the street address: "6 Corbet Place".

Gordon

Comment

Working...
              X