Probably a silly question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably a silly question....

...but can anyone tell me the earliest known instance of MJ being mentioned in print as a suspect in the Ripper murders?

I was under the impression that Cullen was the first to mention him by name, but can anyone tell what year that was, or if there's any earlier mention?

Thanks in advance.
    “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Hi Magpie.

I presume you mean after 1894, right?

The first Tom Cullen was 1965. His second book was 1973.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

In 1959 Daniel Farson was the first to bring Druitt to the attention of a wider public in two episodes of his television show Farson's Guide To The British. However Farson did not mention Druitt by name but used only his initials. Cullen was the first to print Druitt's full name in his 1965 book Autumn of Terror.

Wolf.

Comment

I know this isn't exactly what you mean but the first allusion to Druitt in print is the Bristol Times (Feb 1891) article repeated in several other papers in which an MP (whom we know know is Henry Richard Farquharson) accuses a "son of a surgeon" who committed suicide after the last murder. Druitt is not mentioned by name, however.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

That pretty much confirms what I'd thought--was just wondering if that info had changed while I was away from the case.
          “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Working...
          X